Sample MetaScenario: A Category 5 hurricane on the scale of Hurricane Andrew is fast approaching southern Florida, forcing mass evacuations in preparation for landfall. Even as the state takes its normal actions, hospitals across Florida and surrounding states are reporting unusually high numbers of patients exhibiting symptoms of a fatal and fast-spreading illness of unknown origin. Compounding both of these issues is a large population of non-English speaking residents and large elderly and disabled community. Clearly, both the pending hurricane and the rapidly spreading illness are critical priorities. All hospitals are full or in the hurricane path. Forty percent or more of the first responders are, or soon will, exhibit signs of illness, further weakening the resources typically used to help and further taxing the system. As the hurricane makes landfall, 7 million people across Florida are in an evacuation zone. Over 190,000 people are dead from the mystery illness, which is now believed to be food-born and not contagious, but still the source is unknown. Another 265,000 are requiring immediate medical attention. Furthermore, transportation workers, utility workers, and other key response workers are among those impacted by the illness, and are unable to keep up with power outages and other infrastructure failures.
Medical Response: After reading the above scenario, tell us how you think the private sector could support a rapid and widespread medical response in the first 72 hours, assuming all hospitals are full and healthcare professionals are beyond their capacity. Examples of how the government can work with the private sector to establish a more effective national capability to treat, stabilize, and provide for 265,000 casualties of this or another catastrophic event.
All of topics are designed to stimulate creative, out-of-the box thinking. We welcome your thoughts, ideas, or suggestions on all of the topics.
Global Peace Partners, bridges the turbulent waters of political, religious, cultural and social boundaries through medical diplomacy. Taking the lead before disaster strikes, our Care Convoy delivers Search, Rescue and Medical Equipment to enable nations to be better prepared for the disasters growing in frequency and intensity around the world.
Currently... more »
Stockpile resource - Pre arrange with local venders for supplies and equipment to ensure supply to these temporary facilities with MOI's and basic predetermined items.
Sister cities concept for EMS - Form a national program for EMS agencies as well as All Responder agencies that would create a network of sister cities. the agencies would be paired with 2 other comparable sized agencies and jurisdictional... more »
• Generate capacity lists from above as sites come on line
• Alert mutual aid partners and intrastate Mutual aid partners and confirm resources available to be brought in for medical transport to above facilities in addition, bring in any personal supplies such as food and bedding for those responding... more »
• Alert the following facilities that they may be called upon to house and shelter casualties... (pre selected and identified on county resource - annex list taken from their EOP's )
- Minimum security jails and detention centers
- Outpatient surgical centers
- Urgent care centers
- Large Inland hotels (with backup power systems to maintain operations )
• Activate the above facilities Using a modified COOP... more »
Fact and assumptions:
Major Resource and Demographic issues:
• Non-English speaking
• Large elderly and disabled community
• All hospitals are full or in the hurricane path
• Forty percent or more of the first responders are, or soon will... more »